Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, which provide small compensation for FidisTravel at no extra cost to you if you decide to purchase/book something
Making the decision to purchase a set of high-quality, professional golf clubs is an investment that requires special care to keep the clubs protected and in optimal working condition. If you are looking for the best golf travel bag for your new set of clubs, look no further!
Check out these top recommendations from some of the leading golf experts to find the ideal golf bag for all your travels.
Our Top Picks for Best Golf Travel Bag
|Best Overall||Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian||Review|
|Best Hard Case||Samsonite Hard Side Golf Bag||Review|
|Best Compact||CaddyDaddy Ranger Travel Golf Bag||Review|
|Best Budget||Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag||Review|
|Best Basic||Athletico Padded Golf Travel Bag||Review|
|Best Modern Design||Sun Mountain Kube Travel Cover||Review|
|Best Hybrid||Founders Club Hybrid Travel Golf Bag Club Cover||Review|
- The average checked baggage limit is 50 lb. Might be different for sports equipment but you can go up to 70 lb for a fee. Remember to count your clubs weight.
- Typically golf bags are allowed to go beyond the oversize limit, could be up to 100 linear inches (length + width + weight)
1. Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian [Best Overall]
Price when this article was published: $339.99
Dimension: 52 X 14 X 14 in (total of 80 linear in)
Weight: 11.3 lb (5 kg)
With Wheels: yes
Hailed as the best golf bag for travel for seven years in a row by Golf Digest, this golf travel bag is perfect for all kinds of travel.
The Sun Mountain ClubGlider Meridian offers users maximum protection for their clubs with dense foam padding around club heads as well as an internal strap that keeps clubs in place during travel.
The outer layer is made from heavy duty, tear-resistant nylon that is reinforced in high wear areas.
This bag is lightweight and easy to maneuver with pivoting 360 degree wheels as well as an easy to use retractable kickstand that makes check in quick and easy. It features a variety of storage compartments that can carry golf shoes, rain gear, golf balls, dirty laundry, and more.
The heavy duty two-way zippers run the length of the bag, making packing clubs quick and easy.
- Made of ballistic-quality nylon, this bag is one of the most durable travel golf bags on the market.
- The convenient 360 degree wheels and collapsible kickstand makes traveling with this bag a breeze.
- Voted Best Travel Bag by Golf Digest.
- Extra padding provides ultimate protection for expensive golf clubs.
- This bag comes in a variety of color options for a personalized feel.
- The high price tag of this golf bag may make it inaccessible to some golfers.
2. Samsonite Hard Side Golf Bag [Best Hard Case]
Price when this article was published: $217.72
Dimension: 12 x 16 x 54 in (total of 82 linear in)
Weight: 5 lb (2.3 kg)
With Wheels: yes
The Samsonite Hard Side Golf Bag is a durable, lightweight hardshell case that is perfect for transporting clubs on flights.
The hard outer shell provides protection against damage while the padded interior provides extra cushioning to protect club heads. An interior compression strap keeps golf bag secure inside the case even under the most turbulent conditions.
This golf bag is easy to maneuver through crowded airports with four 360 degree rotating wheels as well as two in-line skate wheels that allows for multi-directional transport.
This bag can accommodate golf bags with a top dimension of 10.5 inches and club length of up to 48 inches.
- Weighing in at just 5 pounds, this travel golf bag is one of the lightest hard-sided golf bags for travel.
- The hard outer shell helps protect golf clubs against damage during airline travel.
- The rotating wheels allow users to push or pull the bag and provide easy maneuvering through crowded spaces.
- The high price tag of this golf bag may make it inaccessible to some golfers.
- The non-conforming shape of the bag makes it cumbersome for storage when not in use.
3. CaddyDaddy Ranger Travel Golf Bag [Best Compact Golf Travel Bag]
Price when this article was published: $79.95
Dimension: 5 x 6 x 51 in (total of 62 linear in)
Weight: 3.5 lb (1.6 kg)
With Wheels: no
If you are an avid traveler looking for the best way to cut down on travel gear, the CaddyDaddy Ranger Travel Golf Bag may be exactly what you are looking for.
This compact travel case features a padded top and rigid base that allows users to carry up to 9 golf clubs safely.
The bag itself weighs just 3.5 pounds and features a padded shoulder strap and easy grip rubber handle, making it ideal for quick weekend getaways to nearby golf courses.
The ultra-durable fabric protects the bag against wear and tear and the manufacturer offers a 1 year full replacement warranty for this product. Golfers planning on flying with this bag can enjoy peace of mind with lockable zippers to keep clubs safe during travel.
- At under $100, this golf travel bag is one of the most affordable options on the market.
- Weighing just 3.5 pounds, this bag offers users a lightweight option for travel.
- This travel bag features an extra added safety feature with lockable zippers to make traveling safer.
- The manufacturer offers a one year full replacement warranty.
- This travel bag does not accommodate a full set and only carries up to a maximum of 9 golf clubs.
- This golf bag is only available as a carrying case and does not offer an option for rolling transport.
4. Amazon Basics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag [Best Budget Friendly Golf Travel Bag]
Price when this article was published: $29.19 (check different color for deal)
Dimension: 13 x 15 x 50 in (total of 78 linear in)
Weight: 8.65 lb (4 kg)
With Wheels: no
For golfers looking for a simple, easy, and affordable way to transport their clubs, the AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Golf Travel Bag is a must-have. This budget-friendly travel bag features a lightweight design made of durable nylon fabric featuring interior and exterior compression straps and heavy padding to keep clubs secure.
The bag stands upright on its own making packing clubs a breeze and the smooth inline skate wheels allow users to transport the bag easily across a variety of different terrains.
The bag measures 13 x 15 x 50 inches which can accommodate most standard golf bags and standing carts. The bag features additional side storage pockets that allow golfers to pack gear such as golf shoes, clothing, golf balls, towels, and more. Weighing in at just 8.65 pounds, this bag is a lightweight option that allows for easy storage and transport of golf clubs.
- At just under $40, this travel golf bag is one of the most affordable options on the market.
- Additional storage compartments allow users to neatly pack all golf equipment and accessories in one place.
- Durable nylon and heavy padding help keep clubs safe during travel.
- Some users have reported defective items, weak seams, broken zippers, and damaged clubs while using this item.
- Although this bag offers tons of extra storage spaces, some users find that this makes this item bulkier than other similar golf bags.
- While this bag does feature inline skate wheels, it does not offer optimal 360 degree direction pivoting capabilities.
5. Athletico Padded Golf Travel Bag [Best Basic Travel Bag]
Price when this article was published: $49.99
Dimension: 12 x 14 x 53 in (total of 79 linear in)
With Wheels: no
The Althletico Padded Golf Travel Bag is a lightweight, easy to carry golf travel bag that makes transporting golf clubs a breeze. Made of durable 600D polyester and built with 5mm padding throughout, this bag provides optimal protection of golf equipment during transport.
The bag comes with neoprene padded carrying straps as well as a removable shoulder strap allowing users to carry their golf clubs virtually anywhere while protecting them from excess strain. When not in use, the compact design of this case allows users to fold the bag up and pack away for easy storage.
- At just under $50, this travel golf bag is an affordable option for most golfers.
- This travel bag features a simple, streamlined design that is easy to use.
- When not in use, this bag can easily be rolled up and tucked away for easy storage.
- Users have reported defective items that ripped after just one use.
- This bag can only function as a carrying case and does not come equipped with wheels for mobility.
6. Sun Mountain Kube Travel Cover [Best Modern Design Travel Bag]
Price when this article was published: $269.99
Dimension: 52 x 14 x 14 in (total of 80 linear in)
Weight: 6.8 lb (3 kg)
With Wheels: yes
For golfers looking for a modern approach to traveling with their gear, the Sun Mountain Kube Travel Cover is the ideal option. This artfully designed travel bag comes in a variety of color options and folds down to 9″ x 13″ x 14.5″ for easy storage.
Made of durable ballistic-style nylon fabric and padding throughout as well as a hard shell at the top and bottom, this case is designed for ultimate protection when it comes to traveling with golf clubs. Even with the added protection of hard shells at the top and bottom of the bag, this carrying case weighs only 6.8 pounds and features two zippers that run the full length of the bag to make transportation quick and effortless.
- This bag features a modern design and comes in a variety of colors including green, blue, orange, black, and more.
- The state-of-the-art design of this bag features enhanced safety features that provide the ultimate protection against damaged clubs.
- This travel bag easily folds down to a small size that is perfect for storing in smaller spaces.
- The high price tag of this bag may make it inaccessible to some golfers.
- Users have reported sagging in the middle of the bag between the two hard covers.
7. Founders Club Hybrid Travel Golf Bag Club Cover [Best Hybrid Golf Travel Bag]
Price when this article was published: $139.95
Dimension: 52 x 15 x 13 in (total of 80 linear in)
Weight: 8 lb (3.7 kg)
With Wheels: no
This hybrid travel case combines the best of both worlds with a durable 600D polyester body and a durable hard top shell for maximum protection of golf clubs during travel. This bag is designed to accommodate a variety of sizes of golf bags with a maximum of 10” in diameter and up to 50” in length. An internal compression strap is situated inside the bag that keeps clubs secure during even the roughest travel conditions.
The Founders Club Hybrid Travel Golf Bag Club Cover features two external pockets for equipment or other storage including rain gear, golf shoes, towels, and more. The durable, skid-resistant foundation allows for easy loading while the three sets of padded handles and inline skate wheels make maneuvering with this bag hassle-free. The manufacturer of this bag offers a 1-year full replacement warranty for any defective or damaged products. The space-saving design of this bag folds up to 23” x 15” x 13” for easy storage when not in use.
- The hard top shell and internal compression strap provide the ultimate protection for clubs during travel.
- This bag is perfect for small spaces and easily folds down for storage.
- The manufacturer provides a 1-year full replacement warranty for this product.
- This bag comes in a variety of color options allowing users to add personal touches to their purchase.
- The relatively high cost of this bag may make the product inaccessible to some golfers.
Golf Clubs Policies in Popular Airlines to Help You Decide
|Airline||Standard Size in linear inches||Oversized||Standard Weight||Overweight|
|American Airlines||126||(126 is more than enough)||50 lbs||up to 70 lbs|
|United Airlines||62||Waived for golf bag||50 lbs||up to 100 lbs|
|Delta Airlines||62||Waived up to 115 linear inches||50 lbs||up to 70 lbs|
|Southwest Airlines||62||up to 80 linear inches||50 lbs||up to 100 lbs|
|Hawaiian Airlines||115||115 (for free)||50 lbs||up to 100 lbs|
|JetBlue||waived||Waived for golf bag||50 lbs||up to 99 lbs|
Can you fly with a normal golf bag?
The regular golf bag is not truly intended for travel much further than the golf course itself. They are usually heavier than travel bags. However, no real rule or regulation is stopping you from flying with one. Just make sure it complies with the weight and size limitations. Yet given the weight of this type of bag, you’ll probably find you can’t pack many clubs before you reach the weight allowance.
Are hard or soft golf travel bags better?
Hard bags are undoubtedly better if your travel plans are longer and you can’t dictate their entire motion. I.e. if you’re taking them on a flight. The harder materials will ensure that there is better protection from adverse movement.
Conversely, if you are packing your bags for a road trip, a soft-sided golf bag is better because they’re lighter. In this case, where you keep your bag with you at all times, there’s less need to surround it with harder materials.
How do I choose a golf travel bag?
Firstly, consider your upcoming golf travel plans.
- Where/how far are you going?
- Do you need a hard-sided bag to fly with the clubs?
- How much is your budget?
- The bag’s weight. The heavier the bag the less you can bring your clubs before it hits the airline’s weight limit.
- Which clubs you intend to pack in a prospective new bag.
Do airlines charge extra for golf bags?
Most airline companies will treat golf bags as a standard piece of baggage in place of an item of checked luggage. Be sure to check the rules and regulations before you book however as this can differ from company to company.
Is a golf travel bag considered oversized?
Airline companies are generally smart enough to know that golf clubs don’t fit the conventional baggage shape or size. This means while they will be technically considered oversized, you will not incur any kind of fee for this. Be sure to check if your airline of choice still has limits on this.
What is the difference between normal golf bags and travel golf bags?
‘Normal golf bags’ are the ones you see on TV being carted around by the professionals and their teams around the course. These are the heavy-duty bags that carry Tiger Woods’ clubs around all 18 holes. These vary in quality but most tend to look nice and are durable to withstand multiple weather conditions while out on the green.
Travel golf bags are made with the purpose to transport your clubs from A to B while protecting them from possible damages. These bags cover the entire golf clubs, some with soft padding in the inside for extra protection during transport.
How do you secure a golf bag on a plane?
After you’ve checked the golf bag onto your flight, there’s little you can do about its positioning on the plane. Therefore the hard work to secure the contents comes in the packing process.
Picking a bag with separated innards will allow your clubs to fit snugly in place. These allow your clubs to sit in the bag with limited movement when packed. If however, your bag doesn’t have such a feature, then a club protector can be placed within the bag to keep the clubs in place.
Do airlines weigh golf bags?
All airlines weigh every bag going onboard the aircraft, including golf bags. Especially those going in the hold. That means that all golf equipment will be weighed and measured against the weight allowance before boarding. Ensure that you check the weight before you head to the airport. Overweight fees are typically quite expensive and can be payable for each flight they go on – depending on the aviation companies involved.
What is the best way to fly with a golf club?
The best advice is to invest in a good quality hard-sided bag that allows you to take just the right amount of clubs within the weight allowance. If you can’t do that, you can opt to ship your clubs to your destination with a courier service. Remember to compare the cost beforehand so you can make the best decision.
No matter which golf travel bag you choose, it is important to ensure that an expensive investment like a set of professional golf clubs is well protected. Everyone knows that luggage encounters tons of wear and tear during transport and keeping your clubs protected is the highest priority. Whether you are spending a weekend away with friends or heading out for an extended golfing excursion, choosing the right golf travel bag for you can help protect your equipment for a lifetime of creating memories on the green.
Now if you’re set with the golf bag, check out golf trip packing list to make sure you have everything you need for a fun golf trip.