So many people love to travel, but almost everyone will tell you that packing for travel can be a hassle sometimes. You have to think about whether or not to check a bag, worry about if your carry-on has all the essentials in it should your flight be canceled, or your luggage gets lost or delayed, plus you have to make sure you pack everything you need to stay entertained and comfortable on the journey. To make things even more complicated, JetBlue is now charging extra for a carry-on bag, so now passengers must decide between a handbag and a small travel suitcase that will fit under the seat or pay extra.
There are so many decisions for the modern traveler to make. However, all is not lost; a purse specially designed for travel can solve many of these problems. A good travel purse is a must addition to the list of travel essentials for women these days. Travel purses range in size, color, price, and number of features, so deciding which is right for you can be difficult. Whether you choose to go with a crossbody or a backpack, a tote, or a belt pack—you need to find something that is secure, stylish, and can hold everything you need without being overwhelmingly unwieldy.
Here are Our Top Picks of the Best Travel Purses
- Best Overall: Arden Cove Anti-Theft Waterproof Full Cross-Body Bag | Review
- Best Versatility: Travelon Anti-Theft Urban® Convertible Tote | Review
- Best Lightweight: Lululemon Easy Access Crossbody Bag | Review
- Best Looking: Volganik Rock Hobo Travel Tote | Review
- Best Value: Lewis N. Clark Secura Classic Anti-Theft Crossbody Purse | Review
- Best Security: Pacsafe Cruise Anti-Theft On The Go Crossbod | Review
- Best Unisex: G4Free Sling Backpack | Review
Arden Cove Anti-Theft Waterproof Full Cross-Body Bag (Best Overall)
Price when this article was published: $185.00
Size: 6.5”H x 8.5”W x 2.5”D
This crossbody purse from Arden Cove comes in six colors, with four of the colors featuring an attractive contrasting trim. It’s lightweight, waterproof, easy to clean, and tear-resistant. This deceptively spacious travel purse is designed to keep all your belongings, such as charging cords, a small e-reader or tablet, and sunglasses organized and easy to find. The interior pockets are the perfect size for travel documents. The straps on a bag are the things that get the most wear and tear, and the cut-resistant vegan leather handles on this Arden Cove bag are a cruelty-free feature that doesn’t sacrifice quality and durability.The locking front pocket acts as a wallet equipped with credit card slots and a section to organize paper money.
This durable and attractive bag can stand up to rough and frequent use, which is why it earned the distinction of the best overall bag on our list.
Pros and Cons of the Arden Cove Anti-Theft Waterproof Full Crossbody Bag
- Equipped with locking zippers.
- Made of vegan faux-leather
- Constructed with RFID-blocking technology
- The high price tag makes this bag out of the price range of many travelers.
Check at Amazon.
Travelon Anti-Theft Urban® Convertible Tote (Best Versatility)
Price when this article was published: $100
Size: 15.75”H x 11”W x 5”D
If you’re looking for versatility in a travel bag, this Travelon Convertible Tote fits the bill. This bag is perfect for travelers and commuters alike. Its design allows you to wear it as a backpack or use it as a tote bag simply by tucking the shoulder straps inside. The tote’s unique and sleek look is understated and classy.
While many bags only have slash-proof straps, Travelon’s tote includes a mesh barrier on all sides that protects the bag from being cut, and locking zippers add another layer of protection against theft. You’ll never have to fumble around for your phone or keys with the outside zippered pockets on both sides of this bag.
Pros and Cons of the Travelon Anti-Theft Urban® Convertible Tote
- This bag has a 5-Point Anti-Theft Security System designed to deter pickpockets and thieves.
- It can be used as a tote or a backpack.
- The key clip is attached to the inside of the bag and has an LED light, so you’ll never have to fumble in the dark for your keys.
- The price can be prohibitive for some travelers.
Lululemon Easy Access Crossbody Bag (Most Lightweight)
Price when this article was published: $38.00
Size: 6.9”H x 5″W x 0.8″D
If you’d like a small bag that’s the perfect size for the essentials, the Easy Access Crossbody Bag by Lululemon may be just what you’re looking for. Its adjustable strap allows you to modify the length to find the most comfortable fit for your body. The water-repellent exterior can be easily spot-cleaned with a wet cloth.
It comes in two colors—black and burnt caramel and can be worn as a belt pack or a crossbody.
Pros and Cons of the Lululemon Easy Access Crossbody Bag
- It has a zippered gusset to expand the bag and increase capacity.
- It’s very lightweight.
- The neutral design makes it appropriate for anyone to use.
- It’s built to fit the essentials such as a wallet, passport, and phone but won’t be large enough for bigger items.
Check on the Lululemon website.
Volganik Rock Hobo Travel Tote (Best Looking)
Price when this article was published: $28.99
Size: 10.6″H x 12.5″W x 4.7″D
This nylon bag looks more like a stylish boho fashion accessory than a travel organizer. It comes in six tasteful colors and has a whimsical pompom accent attached to the main zipper. This travel tote is ready to fit your laptop, a small umbrella, and books in the main compartment, while the outside pockets keep all your most essential travel items, such as your passport, tickets, and cell phone, close at hand.
Don’t let this darling purse fool you into thinking it doesn’t come ready to travel. You’ll find built-in RFID-blocking technology to stop skimmers in their tracks and a total of ten pockets waiting for you to fill with all the essentials for your next adventure.
Pros and Cons of the Volganik Rock Hobo Travel Tote
- The nylon fabric makes it waterproof, and it’s even machine washable.
- It’s fashionable enough to take out on the town yet practical enough for all your travel needs.
- The main compartment is exceptionally roomy.
- The boho style might not be for everyone.
Check at Amazon.
Price when this article was published: $15.00
Size: 8”H x 12”W x 2”D
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark may not have had to worry about skimmers stealing their personal information, but certainly, a company named after America’s most famous explorers must know a thing or two about traveling.
Lewis N. Clark’s Crossbody Purse + Sling Bag is a lightweight bag with locking zippers and detachable slash-proof straps that can be used to wrap around a seat in a chair or train to deter thieves. The nylon fabric is water- and dirt-resistant and easy to clean.
Pros and Cons of the Lewis N. Clark Anti-Theft Crossbody Purse + Sling Bag
- This compact crossbody purse is affordable and easily fits into anyone’s budget.
- It only weighs eight ounces making it one of the lightest bags on our list, yet it is made from strong and durable material.
- It includes a zipper compartment with RFID-blocking technology.
- The small size limits the ways this bag can be used and how much you can store inside.
Check at Amazon.
Pacsafe Cruise Anti-Theft On The Go Crossbody (Best Security)
Price when this article was published: $69.95
Size: 7.9”H x 8.7”W x 0.8”D
Pacsafe’s primary focus for all their products is on keeping your belongings and your identity safe, and they do it in style with the sleek profile of this bag. This crossbody purse is designed to deter thieves with its specially constructed cut-resistant fabric and stainless steel enforced Carrysafe® straps. Even though this bag is built with security in mind, it’s also an attractive fashion accessory that you won’t feel awkward using for a dinner date or bringing to a show.
If sustainability is high on your list when choosing a bag, this spacious, eco-friendly travel purse will be a good choice. The On The Go Crossbody is constructed from 100% recycled materials, making it an eco-friendly product.
Pros and Cons of the Pacsafe Cruise Anti-Theft On The Go Crossbody
- It comes with anti-theft locking zippers.
- This bag is made from recycled beverage bottles making it very eco-friendly.
- It’s equipped with RFID-blocking technology.
It may be out of the price range of budget-minded travelers.
Check at the Pacsafe website.
Price when this article was published: $17.99
Size: 15.55”H x 8.26”W x 3.3”D
While our list focuses on travel purses for women, there’s no need to overlook a men’s bag that women will feel comfortable using. This Sling Backpack by G4Free is a well-designed neutral choice that still has all the features a woman could possibly want in a travel purse.
This bag comes in nineteen stylish colors—the widest variety of all the brands on our list—and can be adjusted to fit all body types. This sling backpack is the lightest on our list, coming in at only 5.3 ounces, making it an excellent choice for those with neck or back challenges.
Pros and Cons of the G4Free Sling Backpack
- This bag can be worn in the front or the back to alleviate muscle strain.
- It comes equipped with a handy side pocket that will fit a water bottle or a mini umbrella.
- Its diminutive size makes it a good choice if you’re looking for a bag a child can comfortably manage.
- It does not come with RFID-blocking technology or slash-proof straps like most travel bags.
Check at Amazon.
Price when this article was published: $49.95
Size: 8”H x 6.5”W x 3”D
This attractive crossbody bag from L.L. Bean weighs only 8 ounces, but reviewers say that looks can be deceiving. While it definitely won’t be large enough to replace a carry-on, it has plenty of room for the essentials such as tickets, your phone, and your passport, and the pockets keep it all organized.
It’s made of waxed fabric, making it water-resistant and easy to clean. You can choose from three colors—burgundy, forest shade, and slate.
Pros and Cons of the L.L. Bean Utility Crossbody
- L.L. Bean offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can return this bag if you are unhappy with it for any reason.
- The style is a great casual look for everyday use..
- The strap is may long enough to fit all body types.
Check at the L.L. Bean website.
Price when this article was published: $42.00
Size: 10.5”H x 9”W x 2.5”D
This travel purse from Made By Design™ can be found on Target’s website and is among the most budget-friendly purses on the market. But don’t let the low price fool you. This crossbody bag comes fully equipped with RFID-blocking technology, slash-proof straps, and locking zippers.
One thing to keep in mind is not to discount any travel bag simply because it comes from a discount store. In many cases, when you buy a designer bag, you’re paying for a famous name which is no guarantee that the quality will be good or that the features you want will be there.
Pros and Cons of the Made By Design™ Crossbody Vertical Handbag
- Its small size means it can be used while traveling as well as while you’re running daily errands.
- This handbag includes RFID-blocking technology to keep skimmers from stealing your identity from your credit cards and other sensitive materials.
- This crossbody bag is one of the smaller ones on our list, so it may not be a good choice for someone looking for a bag to replace a suitcase or for a weekend getaway.
Check at Target.com.
Price when this article was published: $20.99-$21.99
Size: 9.4”H x 12.2”W x 4.3”D (large), 8.6”H x 10.2”W x 3.5”D (small)
The Notag Waterpoorf Crossbody Bag’s low price makes it one of the most affordable travel purses on our list. The bag is made of washable nylon fabric for easy care and is available in four colors—blue, black, purple, and pink.
This crossbody bag’s design has the benefit of having an adjustable shoulder strap, making it so versatile that it can be used as a handbag and a shoulder bag. This flexibility is essential if you’re looking for something you can use while traveling as well as after you reach your destination.
Pros and Cons of the Notag Waterproof Crossbody Bag
- It comes in two sizes, small and large.
- It comes equipped with a side pocket for a plastic water bottle or a small umbrella.
- The strap is adjustable so it can be shortened, allowing the crossbody to be used as a handbag.
- The number of pockets on this bag may make it too bulky for some users’ preferences.
Check at Amazon.
Price when this article was published: $195
Size: 16.3″H x 10.2″W x 7.3”D
This deluxe travel purse comes in three sizes—small, medium, and large—so there’s a size available for every occasion. The small Everywhere Bag is perfect to use as your carry-on item when flying, and it comes with a convenient side transport strap to slip over the handle of your suitcase.
The material is water-resistant nylon making it a breeze to clean, and it comes in five attractive colors—black, navy, coast, asphalt, and green. While this bag’s price may shock you, its versatility may be worth the extra money, especially if you’re a frequent traveler.
Pros and Cons of Away Travel’s The Everywhere Bag
- It comes with a dedicated laptop pocket, making removing your device easy prior to going through airport security screening.
- The company offers free shipping within the contiguous United States.
- Away Travel has a free 100-day trial, so you can try it out to see if this bag is right for you before committing to a purchase.
- The hefty price tag makes this the most expensive bag on our list, which may make it prohibitive for travelers watching their spending.
Check at the Away Travel website.
Price when this article was published: $30.59
Size: 9.4”H x 12.2”W x 5.5”D (large), 8.2”H x 9.8”W x 3.7”D (small)
The Mintegra Cross-Body Travel Purse comes in two sizes, but even the smaller size is large enough to fit an iPad. Inside, there are at least twelve pockets to help keep you organized.
While this travel purse looks more like a conventional purse than many of the others here, the large number of pockets makes it the perfect travel bag for the organized vacationer. You can choose from four elegant colors—black, blue, burgundy, and purple.
Pros and Cons of the Mintegra Cross-Body Travel Purse
- It’s machine washable.
- It can be used daily as a handbag but is travel-ready when necessary.
- It weighs less than a pound, so it won’t be a burden on your back and shoulders.
- The strap tends to slide when you are using it as a shoulder bag.
Check at Amazon.
Price when this article was published: $74.96
Size: 9”H x 13.5”W x 5”D
Believe it or not, you can find this versatile bag at Walmart, but that doesn’t mean it’s not outstanding quality. Baggallini’s reputation for excellence is evident in The Everywhere Bagg. Baggallini has set the bar high for other travel purses, and countless reviewers referred to this brand as the one to beat—their reputation in the market is sterling.
You’ll love the matching wristlet that comes with The Everywhere Bagg when you want to grab it and run a quick errand unfettered by a large bag, and you’ll have peace of mind knowing your information is safe from skimmers due to the built-in RFID-blocking technology. This bag conveniently fits a water bottle or small umbrella in the side pocket. Note: if you purchase this bag on the Baggallini website, you will have a choice of ten colors, while the Walmart site only offers eight colors to choose from.
Pros and Cons of the Baggallini Everywhere Bagg
- This bag features a quick-access phone pocket, so you won’t have to worry about missing calls or frantically searching for your ringing cell.
- It is versatile and stylish enough for everyday errands or for travel.
- The Everywhere Bagg does not have slash-proof straps like many travel purses on the market.
Check at Walmart
Price when this article was published: $29.97
Size: 10.16”H x 6.18”W x 1.18”D
This travel purse by Peak Gear has some unique features. The magnetic closure on the front flap makes it easy to reach the contents of your bag, and since it’s a crossbody, you can wear the flap against your body to deter thieves. A hidden pouch with RFID-blocking technology is the perfect place to stash credit cards and your passport.
An exclusive feature offered by Peak Gear is their free lifetime recovery service which means if your bag is lost, anyone who finds it can contact you and arrange to have it returned simply by using the unique code on the bag ID tag. The good Samaritan who finds your bag will receive not only your gratitude but a reward from Peak Gear also.
Pros and Cons of Peak Gear Crossbody Travel Purse
- The versatile straps allow the bag to be worn on the shoulder or as a crossbody.
- Each purchase from Peak Gear comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The straps may roll off your shoulder when the bag is full, limiting the effective use of the capacity.
- The magnetic closure is convenient but beware that it could demagnetize transit and credit cards.
Check at Amazon.
By now, you should have a good idea of what to look for when you’re shopping for a travel purse. While every traveler’s needs vary, and not every bag is a good fit for every traveler, armed with this new knowledge, you can now make an educated decision. Take a little time to shop around, and you’ll surely find the perfect travel purse that will bring you years of enjoyment. Once you find one, take a bit of time to find out how to maintain and clean the inside of it to make it last.